Wednesday, January 28, 2009

*Tentative* Itinerary

So a lot of you have been asking my itinerary so that you can track my travels and get an idea of what I'll be doing. If you know me, then you know that during my day and a half time's worth of flying that I'll be changing my entire itinerary for the dozenth time. Nonetheless, in a futile attempt to appease everybody, here is what *today's* plans are:

1/31/09
Arrive in Christchurch and pick up car (~4pm)
Walk around Lincoln (I am totally copying Mr. Cribb's itinerary)

2/1&2
Banks Peninsula Hike in Akaroa

2/3
Visit Pigeon Bay, Birdlings Flat, Lyttleon Harbour on return to Christchurch
Botanical Gardens, Canterbury Museum, Art Museum,

2/4
Head down to Dunedin, then to Moerki and Catlins to see penguins

2/5-9
Hang around Te Anau area and try to get a spot on the Milford Track (may requires some begging). Otherwise, I will resort to some alternative options such as group kayaking tours through the sounds or the an alternative Track

2/9
Drive from Haast to Arthurs Pass (perhaps stopping in Queenstown for a jet boat ride) to hike Avalanche Peak. Stay here overnight

2/10
Waipara Valley and Kaikora for the seal colony here. Relax or Roam for the day

2/11
2 hour commute to Lewis Pass for a hike
Reefton for Ice Cream
Graymouth for Dinner (again, I'm copying somebody else's itinerary here!)
Sunset drive up to Punakaiki (pancake rocks)

2/12
Kayak river @ Punakaiki to see more rocks
Drive to Nine Mile Beach
Stay in Charleston the night

2/13
Drive to Lyell Walk
Tramp the Six Mile Walkway
Head to Abel Tasman

2/14
I was advised to stay in this area (Abel Tasman) for a few days
I'll also try to fit in a walk up Franz Josef Glacier
I have up to 2/18 on the South Island and all of the above is completely tentative unless it's been scheduled ahead of time

2/19
Arrive via ferry in Wellington and head to Napier for wine country
Lake Taupo
Stay in Rotarua for the night

2/20
Waitakere Loop and Beach
See glow worms in caves (if I can find them)
Search for the Cowrey (sp) tree...still haven't found anybody who can tell me where exactly to find this.

2/21
Rangitoto Island Loop

2/22
A day to roam and relax or explore
Perhaps Haurkai Gulf or the Zoological Gardens
Return car today.

2/23-2/27
Surf tour. Yea!!!!

2/28
Depart for Sydney
Check into hostel (no, I did not reserve one, so this could be quite the experience--good or bad)
Roam Syd a bit
8pm show at the Sydney Opera House

3/1
Depending on what I can swing, today will either be the Blue Mountains to see the Three Sisters for the day, or will be spent at the zoo and aquarium. I'm also going to try to do a bridge climb here to save time for other things when I return.

3/2-14
13 Day Tour from Sydney to Alice Springs stopping at Melbourne, Adelaide, Ayer's Rock, and lots of other fun spots along the way. Too much detail to add it now, but here's the link: http://www.touristaustralia.com.au/online/tao.cgi?ct=tours&md=second&id=14&-Backpacker%20Tours-Sydney
I'll let ya know how it goes.

3/15-3/20
Still deliberating whether or not to go to Perth or stay in Alice Springs or head back down to Melbourne. I can only do one. Decisions, decisions!

3/20-3/25
Cairns Adventure tour as seen here: http://www.backpackertours.com.au/shop2/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/35_70_12/products_id/30

3/26
Take the bus or hitch a ride down to Airlie Beach

3/27-4/3
I opted for this tour, less Noosa Everglades (bc it's no longer offered) http://www.airliebeach.com/whitsunday-packages/backpacker-packages/backpacker-b5.php

4/3
Head down to Sydney either by bus or plane (I'm really pushing my luck here)

4/4
Explore some local beaches, such as Palm Beach, about two hours north of Sydney for the day after visiting the zoo or aquarium if possible. Possibly stay overnight here if I've seen the zoo and aquarium and done the Blue Mountains

4/5
Most likely a very busy free day, doing all sorts of things that I've discovered while I've been here. Maybe just go to the beach for some relaxation and lazing around on my last day.

4/6
Depart Sydney at 10 am and arrive in Cali at 7am. I'll be going through a time warp!

4/6-4/9
Unwind in LA or San Diego for a few days.
Depart on the 9th, and arrive home just before midnight. Whew! Is it over already????

1 comment:

Kel said...

Lisa I hope you have an AMAZING trip! I can't wait to read about your adventures!!! Love ya!